Email us!

Accident Victim

Compensation for Injuries

Disability and entitlement to compensation
The Société pays compensation in one or more forms, such as an income replacement indemnity, a lump-sum indemnity for a delay in studies or an indemnity for care expenses, to the victims of bodily injury sustained in a motor vehicle accident for as long as the injury prevents the person from resuming employment or regular activities.

The right to compensation is grounded in the relation between the accident and injury, the consequences of injury and on the person's fitness to resume employment or regular activities.

Types of compensation
The Société pays compensation in several forms:

  • income replacement indemnity
  • lump-sum indemnity for a delay in studies
  • lump-sum indemnity for aftereffects of injury
  • death benefits
    • to a surviving spouse
    • to dependants
    • to a disabled dependant (additional amount)
    • in the case of someone leaving no spouse or dependant
    • for funeral expenses
  • indemnity for care expenses
    • care allowance
    • reimbursement of expenses
  • indemnity for substitute labour costs (family business)
  • payment of medical and paramedical expenses
  • rehabilitation indemnity

Most regular compensation payments can be deposited directly into a claimant's account.

The Compensation Table shows the maximum amounts payable by the Société in connection with an accident.

Occupational categories
For compensation due to disability, accident victims are categorized as follows:

  • full-time employees;
  • temporary or part-time employees;
  • persons unemployed but able to work;
  • persons under age 16;
  • students age 16 or over in full-time attendance at an educational institution;
  • persons age 65 or over who are not employed;
  • persons regularly unable to hold employment.

Employment held by a self-employed or salaried worker is classed as full-time, part-time or temporary.

Last Modification: 2010-01-25