Emergency Vehicle (Class 4A)
To drive an emergency vehicle (ambulance, police vehicle, fire truck, etc.), you must hold a Class 4A driver's licence or higher (1, 2 or 3).
A Class 4A licence also authorizes the holder of this licence to drive vehicles in Classes 4B, 4C, 5, 6D and 8.
Conditions for obtaining a Class 4A licence
You must meet the following criteria:
- Basic requirements
- Pass the SAAQ's vision test;
- Submit a satisfactory medical report;
- Pass the knowledge test (consult the costs for obtaining a licence for various classes of driver's licence);
- Experience required
- You must have 24 months of experience as a holder of a Class 5 probationary licence or driver's licence;
- You must hold a Class 5 probationary licence or driver's licence AND have passed an emergency vehicle driving course recognized by the SAAQ.
Medical assessment and vision test
Go to an SAAQ service centre to:
- take a vision test;
- obtain the medical assessment form that you are required to have your physician fill out. You must send the completed form to the SAAQ.
To prepare properly
We recommend that you: