Taxicab (Class 4C)
To drive a taxi in Québec, you must hold a driver's licence Class 4C or higher (1, 2, 3, 4A or 4B).
You must also hold a taxi driver's permit issued by the SAAQ. This permit is valid for two years and can be used anywhere in Québec, except the city of Montréal.
A person who holds a Class 4C licence is also authorized to drive vehicles from Classes 5, 6D and 8.
Conditions for obtaining a Class 4C licence
You must meet the following criteria:
- Basic requirements
- Pass the SAAQ's vision test;
- Submit a satisfactory medical report;
- Pass the knowledge test (consult the costs for obtaining a licence for various classes of driver's licence);
- Experience required
- You must have 12 months of experience as a holder of a Class 5 probationary licence or Class 5 driver's licence.
Medical assessment and vision test
Go to an SAAQ service centre to:
- take a vision test;
- obtain the medical assessment form that you are required to have your physician fill out. You must send the completed form to the SAAQ.
To prepare properly
We recommend that you: