General Conditions for Driver's Licence Exchange
- be at least age 16;
- hold a valid driver's licence; the class shown on your licence must be correspond to the type of vehicle you want to be driving in Québec. Go to the section on Québec driver's licence classes to find out;
- be a Québec resident;
- be authorized to stay in Canada if not a Canadian citizen;
- pass any test required (no test if your licence was issued in Canada);
- pay the prescribed fees.
- your driver's licence to be exchanged;
- An official translation of your driver's licence;
- proof that you were born in Canada or are a Canadian citizen (the birth certificate issued by the Directeur de l’état civil (registrar of civil status) or the Canadian equivalent; for persons born in Ontario, only the original birth certificate will be accepted. The certified copy of birth registration will not be accepted). If not, a document from immigration authorities showing that you are authorized to stay in Canada;
- proof of residency in Québec;
- proof that you were a resident of the jurisdiction which issued the licence you present in exchange.
Licence exchange takes place only on appointment.
- Make an appointment by telephone. Have the required documents in hand when calling.
- Over the phone, the clerk will ask you which documents you have in your possession, for example, birth certificate (the one issued by the Directeur de l’état civil (registrar of civil status) or the Canadian equivalent; for persons born in Ontario, only the original birth certificate will be accepted, the certified copy of birth registration will not be accepted), permanent resident card, passport, to determine your eligibility for driver's licence exchange.
- If your driver's licence is written in a language other than English or French, you are required to submit an official translation of your driver's licence.
- The clerk will tell you how to proceed in light of your situation and will set up an appointment.
- Bring your driver's licence and the originals of your official documents with you to the appointment.