To Get a Passenger Vehicle (Class 5) Learner's Licence
Before going to an SAAQ service centre to get this licence, you have to pass Phase 1 of the driving course at a driving school recognized by the Association québécoise des transports (AQTr) – (Web site in French only). This part of the course includes five theoretical modules.
If you are a new resident, you must call the SAAQ to make an appointment before registering for a driving course.
You must prove your identity before getting the licence:
- If you have an identity card issued by the SAAQ, show only this piece of identification (it's the quickest way to prove your identity).
- Show two pieces of identification, including one with photo, from among the following:
- 1st piece
If you were born in Québec:
If you were born elsewhere:
- the original of your birth certificate issued by the registrar of civil status (Directeur de l'état civil) after January 1, 1994 (a certificate of birth issued by a parish or by the Ministère de la Justice is not accepted);
- a Canadian passport;
- a Canadian Armed Forces identity card;
- a Certificate of Indian Status.
- the original of a birth certificate issued by a Canadian province or territory (if you were born in Ontario, the Birth Certificate (short form) which corresponds to a short form Québec birth certificate);
- a Canadian Citizenship Certificate with photo;
- a Permanent Resident Card;
- other proof of legal presence in Canada.
- 2nd piece
- your health insurance card;
- a licence authorizing you to drive a vehicle.
Once your identity has been confirmed, you are required to:
- provide the original of the signed Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority form (PDF) if you are under age 18;
- provide a duly completed certificate that confirms that you successfully completed Phase 1 of the driving course, which includes five theoretical modules;
- fill out the SAAQ's Declaration of Illness or Impairment form and meet the medical requirements;
- pass the SAAQ's vision test;
- pay the licence fee (in cash, by cheque or with a debit card [except in mobile service units]).