Email us!

Driver's Licence

A Lost or Stolen Driver's Licence

In Québec

Before you can replace a driver's licence, you must prove your identity. Go to any service outlet to replace a driver's licence and provide one of the following pieces of identification bearing your photo:

  • a previous driver's licence, other than a taxi driver's permit;
  • an examination ID card issued by the SAAQ;
  • a Canadian passport;
  • a Canadian Citizenship Certificate;
  • a Permanent Resident Card;
  • a Canadian Armed Forces Identity Card;
  • a Certificate of Indian Status.

Note: For replacement of a damaged licence, you may show that licence as proof of your identity, provided you are still recognizable on the photo and the reference number, name and identification number are still readable.

If you are unable to provide one of the pieces of identity mentioned above, you must provide two other pieces of identity. The first one may be:

  • a birth certificate issued by the registrar of civil status (Directeur de l'état civil) or its equivalent in another Canadian province or territory;
  • a proof of legal presence in Canada;
  • a confirmation of permanent residence.

The second piece of identity must include a photo and be one of the following:

  • a Health Insurance Card;
  • an identification card issued by a government agency;
  • a foreign passport;
  • a driver's licence issued by another Canadian province or territory;
  • a driver's licence issued by another country.

Find out the cost to replace a photo driver's licence.

Outside of Québec

We recommend that you report the theft or loss of your driver's licence to the local police and request an official written attestation. The attestation must be written in either French or English, or be submitted along with a translation. If you are unable to obtain an attestation, go to the Canadian embassy or consulate to sign a solemn declaration that your licence has been lost or stolen.

To replace your driver's licence, mail or faxThis link will open a new window. a duly signed licence replacement request and enclose the attestation from the local police or the solemn declaration signed at the embassy or consulate. Make sure to indicate the following information on your request:

  • the subject of the request;
  • the expected length of your stay outside of Québec;
  • the reason for your stay outside of Québec;
  • your last name and first name;
  • your date of birth;
  • your driver's licence number, if you know it;
  • your address in Québec;
  • your address outside of the province;
  • a telephone number where you can be reached outside of Québec or where a respondent can be reached in Québec;
  • the mailing address where the SAAQ is to send the driver's licence;
  • your signature.

Documents to enclose with your request

  • Proof of employment on a duly signed and dated official document that includes:
    • the reason you are working outside Québec;
    • the expected length of time you will be working outside Québec;
  • Proof that you are attending an educational institution submitted on a duly signed and dated official document that includes the expected length of time you will be attending this institution.

Note: If you are vacationing outside of Québec for a few months, you are not required to provide any documents to justify your temporary absence from Québec.

If you are eligible, you will receive a licence bearing the photo and signature found in your file. This licence will remain valid until your next licence renewal. If you are not eligible, you will receive a licence without a photo or signature that will be valid for a period of up to one year (until your licence payment deadline). A licence without photo or signature is a special measure that allows you to drive until you return to Québec.

Find out the cost to replace a licence without photo.

If you would like to receive your driver's licence by express mail or courier, please indicate this in your request and enclose a credit card number and its expiry date. We accept American Express, MasterCard and VISA. Please note, however, that credit cards are only used to cover postal or courier costs.

Last Modification: 2015-11-13