Getting a Class 6R Learner's Licence
To get this licence, you must first pass the SAAQ's knowledge test. It is therefore recommended to take the theoretical part of the driving course before taking the knowledge test to obtain a class 6R learner's licence.
To register for the knowledge test
You can register for the knowledge test online or by using our automated telephone service.
On the day of the knowledge test
To obtain your class 6R learner's licence, you must meet the following requirements:
You must show proof of identity:
- if you hold a probationary licence, a driver's licence or an identity card issued by the SAAQ: show this piece of identification (it's the quickest way to prove your identity).
- if you don't hold a Québec licence with photo, show two pieces of identification, including one with photo, from among the following:
- 1st piece
if you were born in Québec:
if you were born elsewhere:
- the original of your birth certificate issued by the registrar of civil status (Directeur de l'état civil) after January 1, 1994 (a certificate of birth issued by a parish or by the Ministère de la Justice is not accepted);
- a Canadian passport;
- a Canadian Armed Forces identity card;
- a Certificate of Indian Status.
- the original of a birth certificate issued by a Canadian province or territory;
- a Canadian Citizenship Certificate with photo;
- Permanent Resident Card;
- other proof of legal presence in Canada.
- 2nd piece
- your health insurance card;
- a licence authorizing you to drive a vehicle.
- if you are under age 18, provide the written Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority form (PDF).
- complete the SAAQ's Declaration of Illness or Impairment form.
- pass the SAAQ's vision test.
- pay the required amounts either in cash or by cheque - prepare two separate cheques, or with a debit card (except in mobile service units) to cover:
- the test fee;
- the licence issue fees.
To obtain a class 6R learner's licence, you must:
- pass the knowledge test, which consists of 64 multiple-choice questions;
- if you already hold a class 5 probationary licence or driver's licence, pass the section on the techniques for operating a motorcycle, which consists of 32 questions.
The passing mark is 85% for the section on the techniques for operating a motorcycle and 75% for the section on the Highway Safety Code and the section on road signs and traffic signals.
The purpose of this test is to assess your knowledge of traffic rules, as well as the techniques involved in operating a motorcycle. You must show that you know what to do in a driving situation.
If you fail, you only have to retake the section(s) you did not pass. However, you must wait at least 28 days before retaking the test.