The following vehicle axles should not be included:
- A trailer or semi-trailer with a cargo space that is less than 4 metres in length
Examples: commercial trailer pulled by a light-duty truck, utility trailer.
- Registered motor vehicle pulled by another vehicle or combination of road vehicles
A stored or discarded vehicle is a registered vehicle.
- Trailer or semi-trailer used for personal and non-commercial use
A trailer registered in the name of a corporation, business or company name is deemed to be used for commercial purposes.
- Trailer or semi-trailer transporting exclusively a motor vehicle authorized for operation mainly on a public road
Example: a low-bed semi-trailer carrying special mobile equipment registered under an “F” licence plate (front-end loader, backhoe) or farm tractor registered under a “C” licence plate. However, the axles of a trailer or semi-trailer transporting a vehicle registered under an off-road “V” licence plate, stored vehicle or discarded vehicle must be counted.
- Tool trailer used to transport equipment, tools or furnishings that remain permanently inside the trailer
Examples: compressor, shredder, construction site trailer.
- Trailer (other than a mobile home which requires a special travel permit)
Examples: camping trailer, tent trailer.