Terms and Conditions - Banking Information
By registering or changing your banking information using an online service, you authorize the SAAQ and your financial institution to withdraw payment for the registration of your vehicle or for your driver's licence from your account according to the conditions prescribed by regulation, as summarized below.
- Ensure that you have the autorization of each person whose signature is required to debit the account.
- A specimen cheque for a credit card account will not be accepted.
- The banking information registered using the online service is valid for each new withdrawal that you authorize from this account. If you wish to change the account to be debited, you must provide us with the banking information from a cheque from the new account. This change will affect any other debits withdrawn concerning your file.
You must be the holder of the driver's licence, or the owner or long-term lessee under whose name the vehicle is registered, and be the sole or joint holder of the bank account to be debited.
- You must choose the number of instalments desired from the choices offered when you apply for payment by pre-authorized debits. Payments will be withdrawn over a period determined by the duration of the driver's licence or vehicle registration.
- The amount withdrawn will correspond to the total amount due (plus interest, if applicable) divided by the number of desired instalments. You can calculate the amount of instalments using the “Simulate Pre-Authorized Debits” tool.
- Interest fees will be charged for payment by 6 or 12 pre-authorized debits based on interest rates in effect at Revenu Québec.
- The number of instalments can only be changed at the time of your next renewal.
- If you make changes to your record that affect your balance, the SAAQ will readjust the amount of your instalments without prior notice and issue you a new statement. The minimum withdrawal is $4, except for the final payment of a given period, which may sometimes be less. When changes are made, your statement may indicate an amount of “$0” even though one withdrawal still needs to be made. Please refer to the schedule of instalment payments which you will have received previously.
- Unless you notify us otherwise, your authorization will be valid for the renewal of the driver's licence or any registration that is covered by the pre-authorized debits.
Cancelling Your Authorization for Pre-Authorized Debits
- You may, at any time, cancel your authorization for pre-authorized debits and choose another method of payment. You must notify the SAAQ at least seven days before the date of the next withdrawal by going to a service outlet or calling the SAAQ. Any outstanding balance must be paid immediately.
- You may get a sample cancellation form or more information about your right to cancel your authorization for pre-authorized debits by contacting your financial institution or consulting the Canadian Payments Association Web site at www.cdnpay.ca.
- Choosing another method of payment does not result in the cancellation of the driver's licence or the vehicle registration(s) covered by the instalment(s).
Consequences of a Default of Payment
- You are held responsible for the consequences of a default of payment or for any legal obligations.
- A default of payment occurs when a payment cannot be withdrawn due to insufficient funds, the closure of an account or any similar reason. The SAAQ will apply a service charge of $35 for each payment that cannot be withdrawn. The SAAQ may also cancel or suspend any licence or any registration covered by the instalment. As a result, if such a situation occurs, you authorize the SAAQ to withdraw these service charges from your bank account, either separately or at the same time as the next scheduled withdrawal.
Debit Payment Reimbursement
The SAAQ has determined that every pre-authorized debit belongs to the “personal” category. This means that you have 90 calendar days to request reimbursement by your financial institution for any payment which:
- was not withdrawn in compliance with the authorization that was given;
- was withdrawn after your authorization was cancelled.
To request reimbursement, you must fill in an application for reimbursement form available at your financial institution.
You may obtain more information about your rights of recourse by contacting your financial institution or by visiting the Canadian Payments Association Web site at www.cdnpay.ca.
When establishing payment through pre-authorized debits, the SAAQ provides its financial institution with only the legally required personal information.
Please Note: The SAAQ will not agree to withdraw pre-authorized debits from an account that is not in your name.