Important: Definitive Operation!
Not to be confused with storing a vehicle! You cannot put your vehicle back on the road after discarding it unless you pay for a mechanical inspection in a garage accredited by the SAAQ. If necessary, you must have your vehicle repaired before licensing it again for road use again.
When is this online service available?
- Monday to Saturday, from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Sunday, from noon to 11:00 p.m.
Note: Any operation completed after 11:00 p.m. will not be recorded.
Who can use this online service?
Any individual who is a vehicle owner or co-owner.
This online service is not intended for...
If this situation applies, you can carry out the operation by phone or go to an SAAQ service outlet.
Good to know...
- After carrying out the procedure to discard your vehicle, you must:
- remove the licence plate from the vehicle and destroy it safely or keep it for registering a vehicle again within a 3-year period;
- keep the new registration certificate marked Mise au rancart (discarded vehicle) that you will receive in the mail. It is your proof that you have discarded your vehicle.
- No refund is given for a motorcycle discarded after September 30 or for a snowmobile discarded after March 31.
- Refunds are made by cheque or by adjusting pre-authorized debits, where applicable.
Has your vehicle been declared a total loss?
- If your vehicle is insured: contact your insurance company. The insurer will give you one of the two following documents: Demande de transfert de propriété et procuration or Véhicule déclaré perte totale. Then, go to one of our service outlets to cancel the registration.
- If your vehicle is not insured: go to one of our service outlets. You will need to provide the event number the police officer gave you to cancel the registration.
Ways to dispose of your old vehicle...
Car for Life Program
Is your car getting old? When you donate your old vehicle to the ARPAC Foundation, the Foundation gives an amount to the partner charity of your choice in the healthcare sector.
Kidney Car Program
Is your car wasting away? It could save lives! Have it towed free of charge for donation to The Kidney Foundation of Canada. You will help a good cause.
When you participate in one of these three programs, you will also receive a tax receipt.
For more ways to dispose of your old vehicle, contact an auto part recycler in your region or visit the Association of Auto Part Recyclers (ARPAC) Web site.
Before you start
- Check the configuration of your computer. Please note that mobile devices are not supported by our online services;
- Have on hand the most recent registration certificate for the vehicle to be discarded.